The United Nation has warned of the worst humanitarian crisis in Syria’s northwest province of Idlib due to the regime and its ally Russia’s full-scale offence.
UN humanitarian affairs coordinator Mark Lowcock told UN Security Council that worst humanitarian crisis is unfolding in dlib.
Mark Lowcock said that there had been concern about the escalating situation in Idlib for months.
He added that in September last year UN Secretary-General had underlined to avoid a full-scale battle in Idlib as it would unleash a humanitarian nightmare unlike any we have seen in Syria.
“When I briefed you here on September 18, I said a full-scale military onslaught could result in the worst humanitarian tragedy of the 21st century. Despite our warnings, our worst fears are now coming true,” the official told UNSG.
He said due to the offensive launched by Syrian regime backed by Russian forces, there million civilians were at risk in Syria.
The council met in an emergency session to discuss the surge of fighting in the Idlib region that has raised alarm of an imminent all-out assault which could lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.
White Helmets, a volunteer rescue group that operates in rebel-held parts of Syria, said at least six people were killed in 15 others wounded in air raids by pro-government forces in Idlib.
Four civilians lost their lives in Maarat al-Numan and two others in nearby Kafarruma, the group said.
The violence in Idlib has effectively shattered a ceasefire negotiated by Russia and Turkey, in place since September.
Russia has firmly backed Assad’s government in the eight-year war, while Turkey has supported rebel factions.
Over the past three weeks, more than 180,000 people have been displaced due to the latest violence, Lowcock said. Up to 160 people have been killed.