ISLAMABAD: Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry on Thursday said that the government will take the opposition parties into confidence over the ongoing crackdown on the proscribe organizations.
Addressing a press conference, the minister said that the leaders of major parties will be taken into confidence with regards to major decisions on banned organisations.
He said that in the aftermath of India’s recent aggression a consensus had been developed in the country and the government wanted to sustain the consensus.
He said that these were matters of national interest and the government wanted to move forward with the opposition the way it had with various other institutions.
On Tuesday, officials of the Ministry of Interior had announced that 44 under-observation members of proscribed organisations, including Mufti Abdul Raoof and Hamad Azhar (no relation to the Minister of State for Revenue) — the brother and son of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) leader Masood Azhar, respectively — had been taken in “preventive detention” for investigation.
Chaudhry today said matters regarding proscribed organisations had been decided in 2014 when all political parties had signed on to the National Action Plan (NAP).
He noted that one of the fundamental bases for the plan was to take steps to ensure that Pakistan’s soil was not used against any other country.