BAGHDAD: At least 58 people have been killed while over hundred injured in three Baghdad blasts, in a wake of almost daily massacres by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) across the country.
18 reported killed & 30 injured. https://t.co/RhggZHRUZv
— Mustafa al Iraqi (@kIler12ty) May 17, 2016
The first explosion hit a market in the al-Shaab district left 38 people dead and 70 injured, then a car bomb in the al-Rasheed area killed six and wounded another 21 victims, said medical source.
Later, a suicide car bombing was reported at another market in Sadr City, which was targeted in the deadliest day of attacks last week, Breaking News reported.
A spokesman for Baghdad Operations Command told state television that al-shaab blast was carried out by a female suicide attacker who set off an explosives vest in co-ordination with a planted bomb nearby, 38 people lost their lives in this incident.
Isis hailed its “martyrdom operation” in al-Shaab, a predominantly Shia area, in an online statement but there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast in Dora, al-Rasheed.
Previous propaganda statements said militants were targeting gatherings of Shia militias known as the Popular Mobilisation Committees but officials said civilians, including women and children made up the majority of victims.
Voice of America writes as “For most of this year, the militants had been using bombers wearing suicide vests to trigger blasts, but since April, IS has again started to trigger massive car bombs, and the resurgence suggests a weakening ability of the Iraqi Security Forces, distracted by political protests, to protect the greater Baghdad area.”