We all know that milk spoils after a certain amount of time, and that one can only plan to indulge in those leftovers for so long before they start to smell a little funky. But, what about cheese, can cheese get moldy?
Well, it turns out that cheese really does get moldy. However, the specific type of cheese has a big impact on what exactly you should do upon discovering that moldy mess in your refrigerator.
What types of cheese should you throw out immediately?
If you have soft cheeses in your refrigerator, like cream cheese, ricotta, and cottage cheese, that have evidence of mold, you should toss them immediately. Don’t even bother trying to salvage them, as mold can send bacteria threads through these soft cheeses. Additionally, you don’t want to take a chance with any harmful bacteria.
Unfortunately, it’s the same story for any cheese that’s shredded, crumbled, or already sliced. If there’s mold, just toss it.
Surprisingly, yes, there is. Mold can’t penetrate far into harder cheeses. So, that block of cheddar could still be safe, even if there’s a spot of mold on it. Simply cut away an inch around the moldy spot, ensuring that the knife doesn’t touch any of the mold. After the moldy spot is removed, the cheese should be safe to eat.
How long does it take for cheese to get moldy?
As you might suspect, there’s really no cut and dried answer to this. It all depends on things like the type of cheese, moisture, temperature, whether or not it’s sealed, etc. Unopened hard and semi-hard cheeses can last for up to two months in the fridge without going bad, and between six and eight months in the freezer. Anything past that, though, probably shouldn’t be eaten.