ISTANBUL: Suicide bomb blast in the central Istanbul Sultanahmet square, a major tourist attraction, on Tuesday jolted the city, TheNewsTribe.com learnt from international media.
Private NTV television said the explosion was close to a park that is home to a landmark obelisk. The state-run Anadolu Agency says several police and medics were sent to the area.
Benim saydığım 4 itfaiye, onlarca polis, ve 6 7 tane ambulans. Ve sürekli ambulans gelmeye devam ediyor… pic.twitter.com/K8rRl0Y21u
— Özkan ÖZTÜRK (@sssbaknedicem) January 12, 2016
Police sealed the area, barring people from approaching in case of a second explosion.
Turkey suffered two major bombing attacks last year.
More than 30 people were killed in an Islamic State suicide attack in the town of Suruc, near Turkey’s border with Syria, in July.