WASHINGTON: The actress of controversial anti-Islam movie ‘Innocence of Muslims’, Cindy Lee Garcia, has filed a ‘court of contempt’ lawsuit against Google over her flick’s availability on YouTube despite orders of US court.
Cindy Lee Garcia, who faced life threats for performing in the 14-minute controversial film, had won case in The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals requesting removal of the movie from its servers in February.
The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals ordered Google to remove copies of the video from its servers in February, finding the film did not constitute a prior restraint on speech — Google’s argument for initially refusing to remove it, reports said.
Google was ordered by the court to remove an anti-Islamic film from YouTube and all of its other platforms within 24 hours.
Garcia filed an emergency motion for contempt of court on Tuesday claiming that Google violated the court’s order issued last month for removal of the video.
The actress sued Google with a hefty amount up to $150,000 for each copy of the video on YouTube as 852 links were identified in Garcia’s initial takedown notice, which took the claim figure about $128 million.
Garcia’s lawyer said that copies of the movie’s trailer with her performance were still on YouTube until the time of filing. They could also be accessed in Egypt by altering the settings from global to country-specific.
The filing said that the video being available from any computer in the world is in violation of the earlier court order. It also said that Google continues to profit illegally via traffic from the channels that have uploaded the video.