KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on Monday that satellite analysis showed the missing Malaysia Airlines plane had flown along the southern corridor and ended journey in the southern Indian Ocean.
The news is a major breakthrough in the unprecedented two-week struggle to find out what happened to Flight 370, which disappeared shortly after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 passengers and crew aboard on March 8.
He was speaking at a news conference at 10pm (1400 GMT) after authorities indicated they were close to retrieving suspected debris from the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 plane.
Earlier on Monday, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said one of his country’s planes had spotted two objects during a search of the southern Indian Ocean.
Abbott said it was not known whether the objects came from the Boeing 777 which went missing on March 8.
“Nevertheless we are hopeful that we can recover these objects soon and they will take us a step closer to resolving this tragic mystery,” he told the Australian parliament.
Earlier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) informed families of passengers on board missing flight MH370 that the plane is assumed to have crashed with no survivors.
Follow us for more updates.