Hyderabad: At least 18 people have been killed and several others injured after three consecutive blasts hit Hyderabad, a metropolitan of Southern India, here on Thursday.
According to Indian media reports, Sources in the Home Ministry say the explosions in Dilsukhngar, which began just after 7 pm, appear to be a strike by “a well-trained” group which timed the explosions to cause the maximum damage.
The explosions took place at rush hour near the popular Konark cinema, an elevated bridge used by pedestrians, and a bus stand in Dilsukhnagar, which has a large fruit and vegetable market. The first explosion happened at 7.01 pm, the second five minutes later at 7.06 pm and the third a little later.
The police and rescue officials have rushed to the spots.
The Andhra Pradesh police have said that 7 people have been killed and 15 others injured. Police are yet to ascertain nature of the explosions. They are checking if it is a gas cylinder blast or a bomb blast. The area has been cordoned off.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister has called for an emergency meeting after reports of the blasts. Two days back an alert had been sounded by the intelligence agencies of a blast in Hyderabad.
National capital Delhi, Mumbai and other major cities in the country have been put on high alert.
Security has been stepped up in sensitive areas, and railway and bus stations in major cities. A senior Delhi Police official said security personnel have been alerted and they were keeping a tight vigil on the city.
The story is developing and more news awaited.