Islamabad: Former Pakistan’s Ambassador to United States, Hussain Haqqani on Tuesday said that he was not satisfied with the security measures taken by the officials for his safety on the return to Pakistan.
The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Tuesday ordered the government to provide security to Hussain Haqqani — the main accused in memogate scandal — on his return in the country on the court’s order.
An eight-member apex court bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry resumed the hearing of the memogate case.
In a letter conveyed to the interior ministry, the former ambassador said that he had been receiving threats via phone and email in United States and the Pakistan’s interior and foreign ministry could check his claim as he had informed the US officials regarding the threats.
“How could I trust state machinery, which has failed to safeguard the interests of the people, to take care of my safety?”
The law cannot force any person to put his life at risk and the recent security measurements Taken by the country’s security officials for my safety are not sufficient,” he added.
Haqqani further said that he had received two letters from the Pakistani interior ministry defining a plan of his security on the return.
The ministry has not taken notice of the concerns which I highlighted in my December letter written to the ministry, he added.