Karachi: Pakistan government on Friday suspended the mobile services Karachi and Quetta on Friday amid fears of the possible terror attack on the first day Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar.
Rehman Malik on Thursday evening announced ban on motorbike riding in Karachi and Quetta on Friday and said that the suspension of mobile phone services in both the cities was also under consideration.
However, two hours after Malik’s announcement, the Sindh High Court chief justice suspended the ban on motorcycle riding in Karachi.
Sources said that the mobile services would remain suspended from 10am to 6pm.
It has become a regular practice of Pakistani government to suspend mobile services in the country calling it a tactical move against militants who are using the mobile phones as detonators in IEDs.
Previously, the government had blocked the service during the Eid-ul-Fitr, Eid al-Adha and Youm-e-Ishq-e-Rasool (S.A.W) in a bid to keep any probable acts of terrorism at bay.