Rawalpindi incident: 12 arrested over violating curfew


Curfew imposed in parts of Rawalpindi following riot at Ashura procession | TheNewsTribeRAWALPINDI: Authorities have imposed a curfew for 24 hours in parts of Rawalpindi after sectarian clashes erupted at a Muharram 10 procession near Fawara Chowk, that left at least eight people dead and over 80 injured.


  • A high level meeting is in place at Islamabad with Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan in chair
  • Police has arrested at least 12 people who were found violating curfew
  • PTI Chief Imran appeals to everyone to remain calm and defeat the agenda of inciters of hate & violence.
  • Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain appeals masses to turn a deaf ear to rumours being circulated
  • Wafaqul Madaris, a Deobandi school of thought network of Madressahs, says that facts should be revealed regarding the incident.
  • Rawalpindi Commissioner Khalid Masood Chaudhry says curfew could be extended. He said that dialogues with Islamic scholars is advancing in a positive direction.
  • Jamaat e Islami chief Syed Munawwar Hasan expresses his grief over violent incident in the garrison city
  • Sheikh Rasheed, head of Awami Muslim League, says High Court should investigate the matter to ensure restoration of normalcy in the city
  • Kids were not slaughtered as far as medical reports are concerned, he said and added that such reports make it clear that all persons were killed due live shooting.
  • Politicians have demanded a judicial inquiry of Rawalpindi incident
  • Troops have been patrolling around the areas while taking control of major points
  • Incidents of Shia and Sunni clashes have been reported in Chishtian and in Multan for which army troops have been called in
  • The administration believe that holding of any gathering would make the situation worsen.
  • The local administration has been contacted to relax the curfew to hold funeral prayer of the people killed yesterday’s incident.
  • Kids were not slaughtered as far as medical reports are concerned, he said and added that such reports make clear that all persons were killed due live shooting. 
  • Rawalpindi Commissioner Khalid Masood Chaudhry says curfew could be extended.
  • Rawalpindi incident update: fire breaks out once again at Fawara chock near Madina Market
  • Curfew in Rawalpindi likely to be extended for 24 hours more.
  • Fear of violence shootout once again in Rawalpindi

Previous Updates

Considering the hapless situation, Commissioner Rawalpindi and IG Punjab had requested the authorities to impose a curfew. Reports indicate that cellular services in Rawalpindi might also remain suspended for two additional days.

The 24 hour curfew has been imposed within the the limits of 19 Rawalpindi police stations. The curfew will also extend to Rawal Town and Potohar Town. Rawalpindi city police and a large number of army troops are now patrolling various areas in the city.

 The tragedy occurred as mob turned against the police in the procession passing through Raja Bazaar in Pindi. As Shia muslims massed to mourn, a group of miscreants at 3:00pm reportedly snatched guns from police personnel installed in the area for security, and opened fire.

 As panic spread, unknown people set a portion of the cloth market in Raja Bazaar on fire. The situation soon got out of hand and the army was called in to control the situation.

“The clashes started when a sermon was being delivered from a Sunni mosque on the way of the procession route. The infuriated Shias attacked the mosque and also put a cloth market at fire,” police official Waseem Ahmed claimed.

Media personnel were assaulted by unknown men. A large contingent of fire brigades, rescue teams and as many as six army companies were summoned to control the situation. According to Rescue 1122 sources‚ the injured have been admitted in District Headquarters Hospital.

Reports also indicate that a mosque and madrassah were burned down. Ten buildings are known to have been destroyed. Although the firing stopped, the fire at Raja Bazaar could not be extinguished for a long time.

 Chief Minister takes notice

Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken a notice of the incident and asked the City Commissioner and RPO Rawalpindi to submit report.