According to sources, the announcement was made as a preemptive measure as in the past Iranians had launched protests, provoking deadly clashes with police.
the commander of Hajj security forces, General Saad al-Khelyawi said, “We will not allow any attempt to exploit this gathering for aims that are not related to the rituals.”
“All attempts to threaten the security of the Hajj and pilgrims will be dealt with firmness,” he said, as pilgrims began to arrive in Saudi Arabia for the world’s largest annual gathering which peaks around October 25.
Saudi security forces have confronted Iranian pilgrims several times in the past for holding anti-US and anti-Israeli protests.
In 1987, police efforts to stifle such a demonstration sparked clashes in which 402 people died, including 275 Iranians.
Iranian pilgrims have since held their rallies in tents without provoking clashes with security forces in the Sunni-dominated kingdom.
Last year, nearly three million Muslim pilgrims performed the hajj, which is one of the five pillars of Islam and should be done by every able Muslim at least once in a life time.