According to reports, spokesperson from Google, which owns YouTube, said that Saudi has been the latest to join a list of countries where access to the film, which mocks Prophet Mohammed, has been denied.
“We’ve restricted access to it in countries where it is illegal such as Saudi Arabia, India and Indonesia as well as in Libya and Egypt given the very sensitive situations in these two countries,” the spokesperson said.
On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia issued its ultimatum: that YouTube restrict access to the film in the kingdom or the entire YouTube website would be blocked.
The anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims,” sparked a wave of bloody anti-American violence in cities across the Muslim world which targeted symbols of U.S. influence ranging from embassies and schools to fast food chains. At least 30 people have died so far in unrest connected to the film in over 20 countries.
The worst incident of protest occurred in Libya, where U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans were killed in an attack last week on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi.
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh have blocked access to YouTube after the video-sharing website failed to take down the initially obscure film, believed to have been produced by a small group of extremist Christians in the United States.
The United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Yemen have ordered blocking access to all websites carrying the video. Google has denied access to the videos in Malaysia, Indonesia, Libya, Egypt and India.