“Samantha Christian is an incredible young lady,” Deputy Fire Chief Dave Montgomery told the Apache Junction News, adding that her calm, collected actions showed “a great amount of courage for one so young.”
The child got alert after noticing that portable air conditioning unit in her room began sparking and then rapidly caught fire. She quickly woke up her mother and siblings, The Huffington Post reported.
Samantha escorted her 8-year-old brother, Brendon, through the smoke to a neighbour’s house, then ran back into the house to get her youngest brother, Mikey.
When Mikey wouldn’t wake up, she carried him out: “I picked him up and threw him on my shoulder, and brought him across the street,” ABC Phoenix quoted her as saying.
“She’s my little girl scout. She’s pretty brave. I am pretty proud of what she did,” her mother, Labecca Christian, said.