According to reports, in a statement issued from Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan’s office, it stated that as a result of information obtained from the evaluation of our concerned institutions and from within the joint search and rescue operations with Syria, it is understood that the Turkish plane was brought down by Syria.
“Turkey would decide on its response to the incident once all of the details became clear,” it said in the statement, issued after a two-hour meeting between Erdogan, members of his cabinet and the military.
His office also said that search and rescue operations were continuing for the missing pilots.
Earlier on Friday, Erdogan said he could not confirm whether Syria had admitted to shooting down a Turkish warplane in the Mediterranean.
While reports had circulated that Syria had apologized for the incident, claiming it was a mistake, Erdogan told a press conference in Ankara that he had no firm information on the apology.